June is here, which means summer is right around the corner.
Each year we look forward to summer and see warm, hazy days, lazy afternoons in a hammock or on the beach, icy drinks, a bounty of fruits and freshness. That’s what we see.
But then it gets here, and we realize we had forgotten all about how horrible getting into a roasting car is. We had forgotten about the mosquitoes and sunburns and how dirty all of the outdoor furniture gets over the winter. We forgot about how difficult it can be to cook when you can’t bear to turn on the stove.
I propose we make this summer the kind that we can look forward to. Let’s get ready, shall we?
We have holidays and important events from The Bear Cave for this jam-packed summer, and all of the Clean Up, Stock Up and To Do chores you need to make sure your summer is the lazy hazy heaven we all dream of.
Holidays and Important Events from The Bear Cave
- Give the grill a good deep clean.
- Scrub outdoor patio furniture. If things are still looking a little dingy, a coat of spray paint can make them look like new again.
- After the spring rains, your window screens can be seriously grubby. Take them out and give them a good scrubby, soap hosing.
- Gutter cleaning time. The seeds have done the majority of their falling, but now you have some clogs on your hands.
- Make a trip to your LYS (Local Yarn Shop) to stock up on lace weight and other summer knit yarns.
- Between the heat, humidity and bugs, summer can wreak havoc on your hair and skin. Pick up plenty of citronella candles or coils, personal insect repellant and suntan lotion, and DIY yourself some serious summer spa treatments.
- Buy or grow yourself a potted aloe plant. Sure, they sell aloe gels to soothe sunburns, but it is so much more fun to hack off a big squishy aloe appendage, slice it open and rub it on yourself. That sounded wrong, didn’t it? Whatever.
- As fruits come into season and reach their peak, buy lots of them. Cut them up and freeze them on plastic wrap-covered cookie sheets and bag them for quick smoothies all summer. Great for healthy breakfasts or some wicked frozen cocktails. Which brings me to my next point.
- Get lots of different flavors of Bacardi rum. It tastes like summer, especially in a frosty smoothie.
- Buy that freaking ice cream maker already. This is happening this summer.
- Popsicles are even more delicious when they’re homemade. They are certainly healthier. Buy a few popsicle molds and you will be rolling in the frozen, healthy, delicious treats all summer.
- Summer is when the garden is at its peak. Take care of it right with these garden guides for June, July and August.
- Gather your summer knitting projects – light lace weight shawls, toys, and accessories are great summer projects. No one wants to knit hats and sweaters in the summer. You can find scads of free and inexpensive patterns on Ravelry.
- Clean and store winter coats and gear.
- Get ready for summer garage sales by putting together a wish list of items you want or need for yourself, your projects and your home. Keep it in your car (or better yet, on your phone, so it is always with you) so when you run across a garage sale, it is like a scavenger hunt for those things you were probably going to buy at a real store anyway.
- Make lots of ice cubes. In different flavors. You can add fruit, herbs, or whatever other flavors you like. Sparkling mineral water with lavender, lemon and raspberry ice cubes? Hell to the yes.
- Get a bike tuneup, or do it yourself. You’ll thank me later.
- Gather your quick stash of no or low-cook recipes. The less you have to expose food to fire this summer, the cooler you will be. You can find some here, here and here.
- This summer is likely going to be a roasty one. Make sure your garden irrigation is set up now.
- Stock your car with reusable bags, and maybe even a rolling cart for all the farmer’s markets you’re going to hit up this summer.
- Once you get all the work done, you’re going to need to relax a bit. Gather your stack of summer reading!
It’s going to be a summer full of fun, weddings and fabulous projects around here. Absolutely cannot wait.