My mother taught me that you should have a green vegetable with every meal.
I’m totally down with that. I like pretty much all of the green vegetables. But even for those who are not the biggest fans, this particular recipe for brussels sprouts is undeniably crave-worthy. Perhaps it is all the shallots and bacon.
Roasty, browned and delicious and full of flavors strong enough to stand toe to toe with the sprouts themselves, this is a side that is just as at home on the Thanksgiving table as it is on your Monday night table (although you might want to cut the recipe in half for a Monday night).
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Mushrooms & Mustard
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 8 oz slab bacon, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 large shallots, peeled and quartered
- Olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs brussels sprouts, outer leaves removed, trimmed, quartered
- 1 lb baby portabella mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp whole mustard seed
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fry bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until brown, crispy, and fat is rendered. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add shallots to pan. Cook until tender and browned, stirring occasionally, 10 to 12 minutes. Add an extra tsp of oil to the pan at a time if it cooks completely dry. Transfer to a serving platter.
- Add 2 Tbsp oil to pan, increase heat to medium-high, and add half of the brussels sprouts and cook, stirring occasionally until tender and browned. Add an extra tsp of oil to the pan at a time if it cooks completely dry.Transfer to a serving platter. Repeat with other half of the sprouts.
- Reduce heat to medium, half of the mushrooms, add 1 Tbsp oil, 1/4 tsp salt, and cook until brown and mushrooms have released their juices. Repeat with other half of the mushrooms.
- Toss bacon, shallots, sprouts and mushrooms together in the hot pan just to rewarm. Transfer to serving platter.
- Meanwhile, whisk together mustard seed, powder and vinegar. Drizzle over sprout mixture and toss. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Adapted from Bon Appétit